It's bittersweet saying goodbye to Robert. As bummed as I am we didn't get to work together longer, I'm glad America will be gaining a sharp and dedicated civil servant. Cheers, bud! And fear not, readers, I'll have you covered full-time until Sam finds another writer. - Corey
THE BIG NEWS
World Tour: Indian Intrigue Deepens
- 'Multiple Countries' Gathered Intel on India's Role in Canadian Assassination "We are simply laying out the facts as we understand them," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters yesterday, rejecting the Indian government's denial that it was involved in the June murder of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a Canadian citizen, in a Vancouver suburb. via the New York Times and CBC News.
- At United Nations General Assembly, Biden and Zelenskyy Say Putin's Aggression Threatens All "Even President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa, one of the world leaders who has remained studiously neutral in the war, said in his turn at the podium on Tuesday that 'the children who were removed from Ukraine should be returned.'" via the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times.
- Azerbaijan Bombs Disputed Nagorno-Karabakh Regional Capital Artillery shelling and drone strikes reportedly killed 5 people and injured 80, raising fears of another Azerbaijani war with Armenia. via the Guardian.
- Protesters Burn Down Libyan Mayor's House, Angry Over Flood Response Residents of Derna say they were "given a stay-at-home warning rather than being told to evacuate, although officials deny this." via BBC News.
- 'In Guatemala, There Is a Risk of a Coup,' Lula Warns at UN Outgoing Guatemalan president Alejandro Giammattei condemned his Brazilian counterpart's remarks, which echoed U.S. concerns over reported police tampering with ballot boxes. via Al Jazeera.
- French Police Detain Journalist Who Revealed State Role in Egyptian Military Op That Killed Civilians Reporters Without Borders condemned the detention of journalist Ariane Lavrilleux this week by Marseille police, "part of an investigation into possible compromising of national defense secrecy." via Le Monde.
- Germany Bans Neo-Nazi Group Founded in U.S. Police searched the homes of 28 members of Hammerskins Germany in 10 states in early-morning raids as the the Interior Ministry announced the ban. via the Associated Press.
- Vietnam Seeks U.S. Recognition as a Market Economy Visiting America this week, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh is asking for help building a semicondutor supply chain, as well as increased openness to imports such as textiles, footwear and food. via Bloomberg News.
MORE STORIES TO WATCH
Comedy: House GOP Votes Down Its Own Bill
Far-right House Speaker Kevin McCarthy lost another tussle with an even-farther-right faction of his party yesterday. In what the Associated Press calls "a rowdy afternoon vote," five Republican members voted to prevent discussion of a compromise Pentagon spending bill brokered by the House Freedom Caucus and the "more pragmatic" Main Street conservatives. The situation, as the New York Times puts it, presents McCarthy "with two extremely perilous options: continuing to haggle with a small group of his members who seem bent on shutting down the government, or steering around their obstruction by teaming with Democrats to keep funding flowing, and face a promised bid by right-wing lawmakers to force him out of the speakership." In short: the GOP "sh*tshow" could prove to be a gift to House Democrats in terms of getting some of their priorities passed despite being in the minority.
UAW May Expand Strike on Friday
United Auto Workers president Shawn Fain said in a video yesterday that the union would expand its strike if automakers don't make "serious progress" toward a favorable contract by noon on Friday; up to $38 billion in corporate revenues are at risk, by Bloomberg's count. Fain also lambasted Donald Trump, who is planning a trip to Detroit next week, per the New York Times, saying, "Every fiber of our union is being poured into fighting the billionaire class and an economy that enriched people like Donald Trump at the expense of workers." Politico reports that some allies of President Joe Biden worry that Trump has "boxed Biden in" with the trip and fault the White House for a dithering response to the strike. Another Politico story details Biden's cozy relationship with GM: Its CEO, Mary Barra, is a frequent White House visitor; Biden adviser Steve Ricchetti, a former GM lobbyist, has a brother who is a current GM lobbyist; and Biden's niece, Missy Owens, works for the company as director of global sustainability policy. Time to hit the picket line, Joe!
- Trump Told Aide to Lie to FBI About Stolen Documents Trump would also write to-do lists for employees on the classified papers, the aide, Molly Michael, told federal investigators. via ABC News.
- 'Anti-Trafficking' Activist Allied with Trump Accused of 'Grooming and Manipulating Multiple Women' Tim Ballard, who was played by Jim Caviezel in the recent film Sound of Freedom, may run for Mitt Romney's Senate seat in Utah. via Vice News.
- Police Tase Black Alabama High School Band Leader Over Postgame Music "I'm fixing to Tase you," a Birmingham Police Department officer told Minor High School band director Johnny Mims, before arresting him for failing to shut down the music after a football game quickly enough to appease the cops. via the Washington Post.
- Democrats Retake Pennsylvania State House Also this week, Gov. Josh Shapiro announced the state would implement automatic voter registration. via NBC News and the Post.
That's how many state public housing units are vacant in Massachusetts, according to ProPublica. Most of those units have been "sitting empty for months or years," while many of the 184,000 people on the state's housing waiting list sleep in their cars or languish in shelters.
ON THE SHOW TODAY
9/20: It's Hump Day! Sam and Emma speak with Ali Breland, writer at Mother Jones, to discuss his recent piece entitled "A Peter Thiel-Linked Startup Is Courting New York Scenesters and Plotting a Libertarian Paradise." Then, they're joined by Harry First, law professor at New York University, to discuss the antitrust case currently at trial against Google.
DON'T MISS MR CLIPS
Who was asking for this schmuck to weigh in, anyway?
A less-than-impressive debut for Kristen Welker.
"I can go in dressed any way I want and the workers can't? If we are allowed to dress casually, they should be allowed to dress casually. To me, it's a dignity of work issue."
-- Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio, raising a different objection to more relaxed Senate dress code rules, widely believed to have been implemented for the benefit of shorts-and-hoodie-favoring Pennsylvania Sen. John Fetterman. Republicans call the new rules a threat to the "sanctity" of the institution.
Quickie Discount Code Corner
Hey check it out! Stuff on sale!
IAC Laser Engraving: IAC Laser Engraving is a Leftist-owned Worker Collective started by long time listener, Ryan Lubin in September of 2021. Visit iaclasers.com to order your custom item today and enter in Coupon Code: "MAJORITY10" at purchase to receive a 10% discount on their AMAZING products."
Fast Growing Trees: Go to this link right now, and you’ll get FIFTEEN PERCENT OFF your entire order.
Ritual: Get key nutrients without the B.S. Ritual is offering our listeners 10% off during your first three months. Visit here to start your Ritual today.
Aura: Protect yourself from America’s fastest-growing crime. Try Aura for 14 days for free: https://aura.com/majority
ZBiotics: Go to https://thld.co/zbiotics_majority_0722 and get 15% off your first order of ZBiotics Pre-Alcohol Probiotic by using my code MAJORITY at checkout.
HoldOn Bags: HoldOn plant-based compostable kitchen/trash bags: Get 20% OFF with code MAJORITY at https://holdonbags.com/majority
StoryWorth: StoryWorth is an online service that helps every other figure in your life share stories through thought-provoking questions about their memories and personal thoughts. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to https://storyworth.com/majority you'll get $10 of your first purchase!
Henson Shaving: Go to https://hensonshaving.com/majority and use code MAJORITY for a free 100-pack of blades!
Quip: If you go to this link RIGHT NOW, you’ll get your first refill FREE.
Shopify: Go to this link here for a FREE fourteen-day trial and get full access to Shopify's entire suite of features.
LiquidIV: You can get 25% off when you go to liquidiv.com and use code MAJORITYREP at checkout.
Stamps.com: Start mailing and shipping with stamps.com, and keep more money in your pocket every day. Sign up with promo code MAJORITYREPORT for a special offer that includes a 4-week trial, plus free postage and a digital scale.
ZipRecruiter: Find the right employees for your workplace with ZipRecruiter. Try it FOR FREE at this exclusive web address.
Nutrafol: For FIFTEEN DOLLARS OFF go to https://nutrafol.com/men/ with promo code MAJORITY.
Outer: See the difference at go.liveouter.com/MAJORITY. Plus, for a limited time, get $300 off and FREE shipping.
Sunset Lake CBD: Visit sunsetlakecbd.com.
Grove: Go to this link here today to get a free gift set worth up to fifty dollars with your first order. Plus, shipping is fast and FREE.
Headspace: Try this link, with discount code MAJORITY and get one month FREE of their entire mindfulness library.
StartMail: Start securing your email privacy with StartMail. Sign up today and you’ll get 50% off your first year! Go to this link here for our special promotion!.
CozyEarth: Go to this link here and enter the special promo code MAJORITY at checkout to SAVE thirty-five percent now.