I've got some exciting news to share about the Quickie this week, but not quite yet! - Corey
THE BIG NEWS
The UAW Shows How Labor Can Win the Class War
Stellantis struck a tentative deal with the striking United Auto Workers on Friday, joining Ford in meeting the union's demands for substantial wage increases, improved labor practices, and saving thousands of jobs. Only General Motors is still holding out – and on Saturday, another 4,000 UAW members at GM's largest North American factory in Spring Hill, Tennessee, walked off the job. As the Associated Press reports:
"As he explained the particulars [of the new Ford contract] to the full membership in a later livestream, [UAW President Shawn] Fain, along with Chuck Browning, the UAW vice president, said the deal represents a 'historical inflection point' for reviving union power in an America where 'we were being left behind by an economy that only works for the billionaire class.' ...
"Fain called the deal 'a turning point in the class war that has been raging in this country for the past 40 years.'"
Per Politico, President Joe Biden gave the Stellantis deal with the UAW "two thumbs up." The New York Times reports that Fain's next goal "coming out of this historic contract victory is to organize like we've never organized before," and bring workers at Toyota, Honda, and Tesla plants into the union. Inshallah.
Meanwhile in Hollywood, studio executives "are growing optimistic that they are getting closer to a deal to end the 108-day actors' strike," the Times reports. However, as NBC News notes, nearly 5,000 actors have signed a letter urging their union, SAG-AFTRA, to carry on the strike rather than "take a bad deal." The high-profile signatories include, in no particular order: Demi Moore, Helen Hunt, Mark Ruffalo, Bryan Cranston, Freddie Highmore, Pedro Pascal, Zachary Quinto, Ed Harris, Edie Falco, Bobby Cannavale, Debra Messing, Matthew Broderick, Amanda Seyfried, Helent Hunt, Lena Dunham, Sandra Oh, Kal Penn, Jean Smart, Sarah Paulson, and Chelsea Handler.
Finally, NBC News reports that recent wildcat strikes at pharmacies around the country could soon expand, "with more walkouts targeting large chains like Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid in late October and early November." The pharmacists aren't seeking better pay, but rather an end to short-staffing practices by the corporate chains that cause unmanageable workloads. If the last year in labor news has demonstrated anything, it's that organizing gets results!
MORE STORIES TO WATCH
8,000 Dead in Gaza as Israel Begins Invasion
Irael launched the early phases of its ground assault on Gaza on Saturday, accompanied by the most intense bombing yet in three weeks of war. Far-right Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is calling the invasion his country's "second war for independence" even as he struggles to remain in power, yesterday deleted and apologized for a late-night post blaming his security and intelligence chiefs for having allowed the Oct. 7 Hamas attack. Diplomats and experts tell BBC News Netanyahu "absolutely" has no plan for Gaza "beyond the application of relentless, overwhelming military might." Desperate Gaza residents yesterday raided food supplies from UN warehouses, as Save the Children warned that a million children there could die due to Israeli bombing – which, per the Associated Press, damaged another Gaza City hospital following orders to evacuate. Large crowds gathered in cities around the world on Saturday to protest Israel's invasion, some in defiance of bans. And yesterday in Russia's Muslim-majority Dagestan region, the Guardian reports that mobs of "local people have besieged a hotel in search of Jewish guests and stormed the airport after reports emerged that a flight from Tel Aviv was arriving." From bad to worse.
Elections Roundup: Pathetic Pence Whimpers Out
- GOP Field Narrows Ahead of Third Primary Debate Mike Pence quoted the Bible to a group of Republican Jews in Las Vegas by way of announcing he was suspending his presidential campaign on Saturday, a week after the publication of "the saddest photo in presidential campaign history," which showed Pence speaking to a dozen-odd inattentive retirees at a drug store in Iowa. via Politico and the New York Times.
- Official Ohio State Senate Republican Website Spreads Misinformation Ahead of Abortion Rights Vote "Among [the false] claims asserted in one senator's article are that the measure would 'legalize abortion on demand at any stage of pregnancy' and allow for 'the dismemberment of fully conscious children.'" via the Associated Press.
- Trial Over Removing Trump from Colorado Ballot for Insurrection Begins Today The groups and individuals challenging Trump's eligibility on 14th Amendment grounds "have scored a series of pretrial victories, defying expectations by defeating several motions by Trump and the Colorado GOP to throw out the case." via CNN.
- Biden Kicks Off 2-Week Rural Tour at Minnesota Farm Meanwhile, House Democrats say they are "baffled" by Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips' decision to launch a primary challenge to the incumbent president. via the AP and NBC News.
- Maine Police Were Warned Weeks Ago About Lewiston Mass Shooter Another shooting in Tampa, Florida on Saturday killed two people and wounded almost 20. via the Associated Press and Politico.
- Pending Supreme Court Case Is Already Letting Predatory Payday Lenders Off the Hook Meanwhile, the court is about to take up "a new series of high-stakes cases on the role of social media in society, all of which raise different free speech questions and could have broad repercussions." via the Washington Post and NBC News.
- Canadian Government May Finally Unseal Classified Report on Nazi War Criminals Who Escaped Justice Jewish groups have been demanding the report's release for decades, but "some Ukrainian Canadians, whose communities included some former Nazis, bitterly opposed the inquiry, viewing it as a witch hunt and a smear." via the New York Times.
- Gavin Newsom Topples a Small Child Playing Basketball in Beijing Stumbles aside, the California Gov.'s meeting with the Chinese President will "likely help pave the way for Xi to meet with Biden at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in San Francisco next month." via the Los Angeles Times and Politico.
That's how many minutes it took Donald Trump to apparently violate federal Judge Tanya Chutkan's gag order against him after she reimposed it last night, according to the Washington Post. Trump's problematic Truth Social post attacked his former Attorney General, Bill Barr, who is a potential witness against him in the Jan. 6 case, as "Dumb, Weak, Slow Moving, Lethargic, Gutless, and Lazy" as well as a "Moron" and a "LOSER!"
ON THE SHOW TODAY
10/30: Happy Monday! Sam and Emma speak with Brian Merchant, tech columnist at the Los Angeles Times, to discuss his recent book Blood in the Machine: The Origins of the Rebellion Against Big Tech.
DON'T MISS MR CLIPS
There are far too many stories like this (and worse).
"Maybe I was wrong about that." And maybe a lot of other things.
"Not a single one of my veterinary colleagues believe Bobi was actually 31 years old. This is the equivalent of a human to living to over 200 years old which, given our current medical capabilities, is completely implausible. ... We are a science-based profession, so for the Guinness Book of Records to maintain their credibility and authority in the eyes of the veterinary profession, they really need to publish some irrefutable evidence."
-- Danny Chambers, a council member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, expressing professional skepticism about the purported record-shattering age of Bobi the Portuguese mastiff. The Guardian reports that Guinness World Records is now investigating the claims that led to its crowning of Bobi as the world's oldest dog upon his death earlier this month.
Quickie Discount Code Corner
Hey check it out! Stuff on sale!
IAC Laser Engraving: IAC Laser Engraving is a Leftist-owned Worker Collective started by long time listener, Ryan Lubin in September of 2021. Visit iaclasers.com to order your custom item today and enter in Coupon Code: "MAJORITY10" at purchase to receive a 10% discount on their AMAZING products."
Fast Growing Trees: Go to this link right now, and you’ll get FIFTEEN PERCENT OFF your entire order.
Ritual: Get key nutrients without the B.S. Ritual is offering our listeners 10% off during your first three months. Visit here to start your Ritual today.
Aura: Protect yourself from America’s fastest-growing crime. Try Aura for 14 days for free: https://aura.com/majority
ZBiotics: Go to https://thld.co/zbiotics_majority_0722 and get 15% off your first order of ZBiotics Pre-Alcohol Probiotic by using my code MAJORITY at checkout.
HoldOn Bags: HoldOn plant-based compostable kitchen/trash bags: Get 20% OFF with code MAJORITY at https://holdonbags.com/majority
StoryWorth: StoryWorth is an online service that helps every other figure in your life share stories through thought-provoking questions about their memories and personal thoughts. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to https://storyworth.com/majority you'll get $10 of your first purchase!
Henson Shaving: Go to https://hensonshaving.com/majority and use code MAJORITY for a free 100-pack of blades!
Quip: If you go to this link RIGHT NOW, you’ll get your first refill FREE.
Shopify: Go to this link here for a FREE fourteen-day trial and get full access to Shopify's entire suite of features.
LiquidIV: You can get 25% off when you go to liquidiv.com and use code MAJORITYREP at checkout.
Stamps.com: Start mailing and shipping with stamps.com, and keep more money in your pocket every day. Sign up with promo code MAJORITYREPORT for a special offer that includes a 4-week trial, plus free postage and a digital scale.
ZipRecruiter: Find the right employees for your workplace with ZipRecruiter. Try it FOR FREE at this exclusive web address.
Nutrafol: For FIFTEEN DOLLARS OFF go to https://nutrafol.com/men/ with promo code MAJORITY.
Outer: See the difference at go.liveouter.com/MAJORITY. Plus, for a limited time, get $300 off and FREE shipping.
Sunset Lake CBD: Visit sunsetlakecbd.com.
Grove: Go to this link here today to get a free gift set worth up to fifty dollars with your first order. Plus, shipping is fast and FREE.
Headspace: Try this link, with discount code MAJORITY and get one month FREE of their entire mindfulness library.
StartMail: Start securing your email privacy with StartMail. Sign up today and you’ll get 50% off your first year! Go to this link here for our special promotion!.
CozyEarth: Go to this link here and enter the special promo code MAJORITY at checkout to SAVE thirty-five percent now.