THE BIG NEWS
Worldwide Campaigns and Elections Roundup
- Centrist Coalition Claims Victory Over Ruling Rightwing Nationalists in Poland Final results are expected today, but the three-party centrist-progressive opposition coalition led by former Prime Minister Donald Tusk has already declared victory; the outgoing Law and Justice party bullied the courts and the press, rolled back abortion access and LBGTQ+ rights, and undermined the European Union. via the New York Times and the Associated Press.
- The Left Loses in New Zealand Winning National Party leader Chris Luxon, a former Unilever executive, ran a campaign that "focused on crime, with the 53-year-old traveling the nation to talk with store owners about increases in shoplifting, 'ram raids' — burglaries in which a vehicle is used to breach a building — and gangs." via the Washington Post and NBC News.
- Australians Vote Against Placing an Indigenous Voice in Parliament "It is the second time that Australians have rejected a referendum that would have included recognition of Indigenous people in the constitution"; an Indigenous academic who helped draft the proposal said the result showed the "nation has been poisoned" by racism. via the AP.
- 35-Year-Old Banana Heir Wins Ecuadorian Presidency with Help of Viral TikTok Campaign Daniel Noboa, the son of Ecuador's wealthiest man, defeated the socialist candidate with a message focused on job creation and combating a violent crime wave by putting the worst offenders on prison ships. via the Post and the Guardian.
- MAGA Flunkie Jeff Landry Wins Louisiana Gov.'s Race The Trump-endorsed Republican candidate won nearly 52 percent of the votes in a crowded field with an open primary. via Politico and the Post.
- Biden Outraises Every Republican Candidate with $71 Million Haul, 240,000 New Donors "One promotional effort to sell 'Dark Brandon' color-changing mugs, with an image of Biden that switches when filled with a hot beverage from wearing sunglasses to showing red laser eyes, raised $2 million since August." via the Post and NBC News.
- Pence Campaign 'Running on Fumes'; DeSantis Skips $1 Million in Bills While Spending $1.5 Million on Private Jets Donald Trump's fundraising advantage over GOP primary contenders continued to widen in the third quarter. via NBC News.
- 'Gold Bar' Bob Menendez Outraised By Upstart Democratic Challenger New Jersey Rep. Andy Kim launched his Senate campaign one day after the bribery indictment dropped against Sen. Menendez, and raised nearly $1 million in a week – although the incumbent has loads more cash in the bank (and maybe stuffed in a mattress). via Politico.
MORE STORIES TO WATCH
Biden Warns Israel Against Occupying Gaza
- Palestinians in Gaza Face 'Impossible Choices'; Israel Confronts 'Total Breakdown of Trust Between the Citizens and the State' With food and water scarce inside Gaza as Israel masses troops and tanks on the border for a ground invasion, this is already "the deadliest of the five Gaza wars for both sides." via the Washington Post and the New York Times.
- Biden May Travel to Israel This Week On 60 Minutes yesterday, the U.S. President warned that an Israeli occupation of Gaza would "be a big mistake"; the State Department, meanwhile, has banned the phrases "de-escalation/ceasefire," "end to violence/bloodshed" and "restoring calm." via the Associated Press and the Los Angeles Times.
- Yelling 'You Muslims Must Die,' Chicago Landlord Stabs and Kills 6-Year-Old Palestinian American Boy Joseph Czuba has been charged with murder and hate crimes after killing young Wadea Al-Fayoume and severely wounding his mother, Hanaan Shahin; Jewish and Muslim Americans fear the war in Israel and Gaza will spur a wave of such hate crimes. via the Chicago Tribune and the Guardian.
- NYC Republican Councilmember Surrenders for Arrest After Carrying Gun to Pro-Palestine Rally "This shit is wild," former public defender and Democratic City Councilmember Tiffany Cabán says of her colleague, Inna Vernikov, who claimed the Brooklyn College rally she illegally brought a gun to would make the campus unsafe. via Politico and New York Magazine.
Queer ASU Instructor Bloodied By Turning Point Operatives; Police Investigating Hate Crime
Arizona State University President Michael Crow condemned two "cowards" from the Trumpy campus propaganda outfit Turning Point USA who "followed, harassed, pushed and injured" David Boyles, an English Department instructor and co-founder of Drag Story Hour Arizona, last week. Inside Higher Ed reports that campus police are investigating the incident "as possible aggravated assault including bias toward LGBTQ+ individuals":
"'What are you gonna tell me, nothing? What are you gonna do?' the Turning Point 'reporter' kept asking Boyles as he remained silent. 'David, you can't run. It's best if you just talk to me about why you want to push sodomy onto young people.'
Turning Point claimed Boyles inured himself in a fall after attacking their cameraman. However, a security video released by the campus cops shows "the Turning Point interviewer, in all black with a backward baseball cap, almost immediately pushes Boyles face first onto the concrete" after Boyles reached for the camera. Per the Arizona Republic, Turning Point has reponded to all this by trying to intimidate ASU President Crow, saying he should be "very careful" in how he discusses the incident; Turning Point founder Charlie Kirk has asked Republican state lawmakers to defund the university. In related news, the Washington Post tells the story of how a trans sorority sister at the University of Wyoming faced stalking and death threats after she was targeted by rightwing media.
- New GOP House Speaker Nominee Jim Jordan Will Face a Challenger in Tomorrow's Floor Vote House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries says Democrats have had "informal conversations" with Republicans aimed at installing a less extreme speaker. via Politico and the Guardian.
- Fourth Big Quakes in Eight Days Hit Afghanistan Meanwhile, a public inquiry in London showed that knowledge of civilian murder by British special forces in Afghanistan was "widespread at the very top of the government." via the New York Times and the Guardian.
- Rite Aid Files for Bankruptcy The drugstore chain is "weighed down by billions of dollars in debt, declining sales and more than a thousand federal, state and local lawsuits claiming it filled thousands of illegal prescriptions for painkillers." via the Times.
- Kaiser Permanente Workers Win Tentative Deal After Walkout "Millions of Americans are safer today because tens of thousands of dedicated health-care workers fought for and won the critical resources they need and that patients need," says union coalition leader Caroline Lucas. via the Washington Post.
That's how many more obstructions there were at U.S. abortion clinics last year compared to the year before, with 287 in all. "Federal prosecutors have responded by pursuing a growing number of cases, with harsher potential penalties," the Washington Post reports.
ON THE SHOW TODAY
10/16: Happy Monday! Sam and Emma speak with Trita Parsi, Executive Vice President at the Quincy Institute, to discuss his recent piece on the escalating situation in Israel and Gaza entitled "Biden refuses to talk 'ceasefire' though it could prevent a regional war."
DON'T MISS MR CLIPS
Rite Aid tried to blame shoplifters for all its problems, too.
Emma interviews Brian Concannon, human rights lawyer and executive director of the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti.
"It's going to lead to solutions or policies that are fundamentally inappropriate... There will only be a subset of companies positioned to accommodate a licensing regime. It concentrates existing monopolies and entrenches them even further."
-- Deborah Raji, an artificial intelligence researcher at the University of California, Berkeley, speaking to Politico about the Big Tech-backed group Open Philanthropy, which is funding the salaries of "tech fellows" in key Congressional offices and government agencies in an effort to shape national policy on AI.
Quickie Discount Code Corner
Hey check it out! Stuff on sale!
IAC Laser Engraving: IAC Laser Engraving is a Leftist-owned Worker Collective started by long time listener, Ryan Lubin in September of 2021. Visit iaclasers.com to order your custom item today and enter in Coupon Code: "MAJORITY10" at purchase to receive a 10% discount on their AMAZING products."
Fast Growing Trees: Go to this link right now, and you’ll get FIFTEEN PERCENT OFF your entire order.
Ritual: Get key nutrients without the B.S. Ritual is offering our listeners 10% off during your first three months. Visit here to start your Ritual today.
Aura: Protect yourself from America’s fastest-growing crime. Try Aura for 14 days for free: https://aura.com/majority
ZBiotics: Go to https://thld.co/zbiotics_majority_0722 and get 15% off your first order of ZBiotics Pre-Alcohol Probiotic by using my code MAJORITY at checkout.
HoldOn Bags: HoldOn plant-based compostable kitchen/trash bags: Get 20% OFF with code MAJORITY at https://holdonbags.com/majority
StoryWorth: StoryWorth is an online service that helps every other figure in your life share stories through thought-provoking questions about their memories and personal thoughts. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to https://storyworth.com/majority you'll get $10 of your first purchase!
Henson Shaving: Go to https://hensonshaving.com/majority and use code MAJORITY for a free 100-pack of blades!
Quip: If you go to this link RIGHT NOW, you’ll get your first refill FREE.
Shopify: Go to this link here for a FREE fourteen-day trial and get full access to Shopify's entire suite of features.
LiquidIV: You can get 25% off when you go to liquidiv.com and use code MAJORITYREP at checkout.
Stamps.com: Start mailing and shipping with stamps.com, and keep more money in your pocket every day. Sign up with promo code MAJORITYREPORT for a special offer that includes a 4-week trial, plus free postage and a digital scale.
ZipRecruiter: Find the right employees for your workplace with ZipRecruiter. Try it FOR FREE at this exclusive web address.
Nutrafol: For FIFTEEN DOLLARS OFF go to https://nutrafol.com/men/ with promo code MAJORITY.
Outer: See the difference at go.liveouter.com/MAJORITY. Plus, for a limited time, get $300 off and FREE shipping.
Sunset Lake CBD: Visit sunsetlakecbd.com.
Grove: Go to this link here today to get a free gift set worth up to fifty dollars with your first order. Plus, shipping is fast and FREE.
Headspace: Try this link, with discount code MAJORITY and get one month FREE of their entire mindfulness library.
StartMail: Start securing your email privacy with StartMail. Sign up today and you’ll get 50% off your first year! Go to this link here for our special promotion!.
CozyEarth: Go to this link here and enter the special promo code MAJORITY at checkout to SAVE thirty-five percent now.