One thing I did not mind about the pandemic was that with so many people taking precautions I went about three years without catching a cold. Alas, now I've got another one, achoo achoo. - Corey
THE BIG NEWS
Election Roundup: Some Good News at Last
- Ohio Voters Approve Constitutional Amendment Protecting Abortion Rights, Despite GOP Ballot Shenanigans "The victory in a conservative state is likely to help lift the hopes of abortion-rights groups pushing similar measures next year in red and purple states, including Arizona, South Dakota, Missouri and Florida." via the New York Times.
- Transphobia Fails in Kentucky as Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear Wins Reelection Beshear massively overperformed in at least one coal county won by Donald Trump in 2020, which is a good sign for 2024; Beshear's Trump-endorsed rival Daniel Cameron conceded last night, saying, "well, that didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it to." via Politico.
- Virginia Democrats Hold State Senate, Flip House Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin wants to ban abortion, but probably can't do it now as his party won't have control of the General Assembly. via the Associated Press.
- Ballot Shortages Reported in Mississippi with GOP Gov. Tate Reeves in the Lead A judge in majority-Black Hinds County extended voting in response to a complaint from the state Democratic Party after multiple precincts reported running out of ballots. via Mississippi Today.
- 'Exonerated Five' Member Yusef Salaam Wins New York City Council Seat "I am really the ambassador for everyone's pain" says the anti-poverty campaigner, whom Trump wanted put to death for a crime he didn't commit. via the AP.
- Uvalde, Texas Rejects Mayoral Candidate Who Lost a Daughter in School Massacre Perhaps "eager to move on too quickly," voters chose to elect a former mayor and bank executive over a local journalist, Kimberly Mata-Rubio, who campaigned on gun control and had a big fundraising advantage. via the Texas Tribune.
- Granbury, Texas GOP City Council Candidate Charged with Possession of Child Abuse Images Police arrested Brad Benson at home one day before the election, prompting local Republicans to withdraw support for his candidacy. via HuffPost.
- Marijuana Legalization Measure Blazes to Victory in Ohio Exit polls show a whopping 84 percent of voters under 30 backed the measure, along with 64 percent of independents. via NBC News.
MORE STORIES TO WATCH
2024 Watch: Another Sad GOP Debate Tonight
- Never-Trump Republicans Never Did Settle on a Candidate "Meanwhile, outside groups have spent less than $18 million opposing the former president... a mere fraction of the more than $166 million in Republican spending." via the Washington Post.
- Two-Thirds of Avowed RFK Jr. Supporters Admit They Will Probably Vote for Trump or Biden "Voters who dislike both major-party candidates — a group known to pollsters and political campaigns as 'double haters' — have been instrumental in the outcomes of the last two presidential elections, and there are now more than twice as many of them as there were four years ago." via the New York Times.
- 'We Should Bed Wet a Little': Democratic Strategists Fret About Biden Campaign's Competency A bet made on "bolstering Biden's image versus attacking Trump's" has so far not paid off. via the Post and Politico.
- House GOP Brags About Mike Johnson's Day-One Fundraising Numbers, But the Devil's in the Details The Aspiring Theocrat House Speaker has yet to prove he can "convince megadonors to write checks worth hundreds of thousands or more." via HuffPost.
Netanyahu Blows Off Biden, Plans to Occupy Gaza
Thirty days after a Hamas attack killed 1,400 people, Israel's overwhelming military response has killed more than 10,300 people in Gaza, two-thirds of them women and children, and displaced 70 percent of the population. And with Israeli troops now fighting deep inside Gaza City, the number of dead will certainly rise even higher. "Who is going to run Gaza when this terrible war is over?" the Washington Post asks. "After a month of fighting, no one can provide a clear answer." Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday indicated an "indefinite" occupation of Gaza was in the cards, over the objections of the White House, which yesterday reiterated President Joe Biden's "position that reoccupation by Israeli forces is not the right thing to do." Arab governments are resisting Western invitations to play some role in governing Gaza after the war, the New York Times reports; they say the discussion is premature until Israel agrees to a cease-fire. "How can we even entertain what will happen in Gaza when we do not know what kind of Gaza will be left after this war is done?" says Jordan's foreign minister, Ayman Safadi, who warns that the "whole region is sinking in a sea of hatred that will define generations to come."
- Two Teachers Killed in Big Panama Protests Against Secret Contract Given to Canadian Mining Company "This is a collective awakening because we went from being behind a screen complaining to going out and taking action," says one 32-year-old who joined protests organized by "Sal de las Redes — loosely, 'Get off Social Media' — an organization founded by young activists to promote civic engagement in real life." via the Washington Post.
- Former CIA Officer Pleads Guilty to Drugging and Sexually Assaulting Dozens of Women While Posted Overseas "Brian Jeffrey Raymond kept nearly 500 videos and photographs he took of naked, unconscious women, including many in which he can be seen opening their eyelids, groping or straddling them, prosecutors say." via the Associated Press.
- Hollywood Studios Resume Bargaining After SAG-AFTRA Rejects Their Supposed 'Last, Best and Final Offer' AI remains a sticking point, as the producers' last proposal would have allowed studios to use digital scans of dead performers without permission from their estates or the guild. via the Los Angeles Times.
- 'The Whole Swedish Model Is at Stake': Sweden's Unions Launch All-Out Blockade of Tesla Until 120 Mechanics Get a Contract The nationwide action aims "to defend Sweden's longstanding system of organized labor, in which employers and employees work together to reach consensus on wages, benefits and working hours." via the New York Times.
That's the share of American mothers giving birth to babies with syphilis who receive no prenatal care whatsoever, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cases of congenital syphilis, which can be fatal if not detected and treated, have increased more than tenfold in the past decade, NBC News reports.
ON THE SHOW TODAY
11/8: It's Hump Day! Sam speaks with Roge Karma, staff writer at The Atlantic, to discuss his recent piece entitled "The Secretive Industry Devouring the U.S. Economy." Then, Sam is joined by Brittany Dorris, a 5th grade teacher in Portland, Oregon, to give us an update from the picket line on the teacher's strike.
DON'T MISS MR CLIPS
Biden will meet with UAW President Shawn Fain tomorrow.
I wonder how Sister Sledge feels about all this.
-- Aspiring Theocrat House Speaker Mike Johnson, speaking to reporters yesterday about the state of Republican plans to fund the government past Nov. 18 and avoid a shutdown when federal funding lapses that day. Speaking of trust: Johnson's office also explained that, contrary to his financial disclosures, he does in fact have a non-interest bearing "personal bank account."
Quickie Discount Code Corner
Hey check it out! Stuff on sale!
IAC Laser Engraving: IAC Laser Engraving is a Leftist-owned Worker Collective started by long time listener, Ryan Lubin in September of 2021. Visit iaclasers.com to order your custom item today and enter in Coupon Code: "MAJORITY10" at purchase to receive a 10% discount on their AMAZING products."
Fast Growing Trees: Go to this link right now, and you’ll get FIFTEEN PERCENT OFF your entire order.
Ritual: Get key nutrients without the B.S. Ritual is offering our listeners 10% off during your first three months. Visit here to start your Ritual today.
Aura: Protect yourself from America’s fastest-growing crime. Try Aura for 14 days for free: https://aura.com/majority
ZBiotics: Go to https://thld.co/zbiotics_majority_0722 and get 15% off your first order of ZBiotics Pre-Alcohol Probiotic by using my code MAJORITY at checkout.
HoldOn Bags: HoldOn plant-based compostable kitchen/trash bags: Get 20% OFF with code MAJORITY at https://holdonbags.com/majority
StoryWorth: StoryWorth is an online service that helps every other figure in your life share stories through thought-provoking questions about their memories and personal thoughts. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to https://storyworth.com/majority you'll get $10 of your first purchase!
Henson Shaving: Go to https://hensonshaving.com/majority and use code MAJORITY for a free 100-pack of blades!
Quip: If you go to this link RIGHT NOW, you’ll get your first refill FREE.
Shopify: Go to this link here for a FREE fourteen-day trial and get full access to Shopify's entire suite of features.
LiquidIV: You can get 25% off when you go to liquidiv.com and use code MAJORITYREP at checkout.
Stamps.com: Start mailing and shipping with stamps.com, and keep more money in your pocket every day. Sign up with promo code MAJORITYREPORT for a special offer that includes a 4-week trial, plus free postage and a digital scale.
ZipRecruiter: Find the right employees for your workplace with ZipRecruiter. Try it FOR FREE at this exclusive web address.
Nutrafol: For FIFTEEN DOLLARS OFF go to https://nutrafol.com/men/ with promo code MAJORITY.
Outer: See the difference at go.liveouter.com/MAJORITY. Plus, for a limited time, get $300 off and FREE shipping.
Sunset Lake CBD: Visit sunsetlakecbd.com.
Grove: Go to this link here today to get a free gift set worth up to fifty dollars with your first order. Plus, shipping is fast and FREE.
Headspace: Try this link, with discount code MAJORITY and get one month FREE of their entire mindfulness library.
StartMail: Start securing your email privacy with StartMail. Sign up today and you’ll get 50% off your first year! Go to this link here for our special promotion!.
CozyEarth: Go to this link here and enter the special promo code MAJORITY at checkout to SAVE thirty-five percent now.